As a clinical psychologist, my mission is to help people realize the kind of life satisfaction and inherent lovability that’s dependent on no one but themselves to sustain it. I know this is possible because it’s a theory that I have researched and developed from cognitive-behavior therapy and refined over my 20 years of successful interaction with clients. I have created a blueprint that sees them self-reliant and effective in every area of their lives. My patients have learned to channel their strengths, not their weaknesses, they no longer look for outside approval — instead, they have an active reinforcement that comes from within!
These six core techniques assist individuals in believing in their personal effectiveness in the world, as well as giving them a sense of personal control of outcomes to the best of their ability.
1. STARTING IS EASY, CLOSING IS HARD: Learning the importance of closing tasks-not just starting. It’s imperative not just to start, but to also finish and close.
2. DECISION-MAKING: Feeling confident in decision-making, without fearing mistakes or ramifications improves self-confidence and in turn improves chances for “closing.”
3. FACING FEARS: Do not be afraid to be afraid. Use your fear as positive motivation to propel and compel you to move forward.
4. REDUCE PEOPLE-PLEASING BEHAVIORS: Avoid situations of co-dependency and enmeshment. Learn to live an authentic life without living in “service” of others. Watch people-pleasing behaviors which secure feelings of indispensability while averting fears of abandonment.
5. AVOIDING ASSUMPTIONS: Avoid making assumptions about what other people think or feel about you. Your actions should be based on fact and not assumptions. Making decisions about how to proceed in a given situation based on guessing instead of facts is a dangerous exercise.
6. ACTIVE SELF-REINFORCEMENT: Providing tangible self-reinforcement for “closing” or a job well done. Make a cognitive shift from aspiring and needing reinforcement and praise from others to be willing to accept self-praise.
In this video, I’m very excited to share with you a new audio mastered special featuring all six episodes of my web series, A Path to Sustainable Life Satisfaction. With just one click you’ll be able to conveniently view each episode, “Starting Is Easy, Closing Is Hard,” “Decision-Making,” “Facing Fears,” ”Reducing People-Pleasing Behaviors,” “Avoiding Assumptions” and “Active Self-Reinforcement.” You can view the entire special in less than an hour.
Originally published on Thrive Global.